Africa 16 killed in Thursday’s blasts in Nigeria’s Jos: Military

16 killed in Thursday’s blasts in Nigeria’s Jos: Military

Captain Ikedichi Iweha, Commander of the Special Military Task Force

(AA) – At least 16 people have been killed and 25 others injured in Thursday’s twin suicide bombings in central Nigeria Jos town, the military said on Friday.

“Two suicide bombers struck by 6:30 p.m. at Terminus area of business hub in Jos. The two bombs went off one after the other, followed by sporadic gunshots,” Captain Ikedichi Iweha, Commander of the Special Military Task Force in charge of Jos internal peace operation, said in the statement.

“So far 16 persons have been confirmed dead, 25 injured. Injured moved to various hospitals,” he said.

Sources at the scene of the attack had earlier said that at least 31 people had been killed in the bombings.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the bombings.

Jos, the capital city of the north-central Plateau state, has been the epicenter of ethno religious and political crisis blamed on mutual suspicion among competing tribal groups in the state.

Thursday’s blasts, the third major such attacks in the state this year, came two weeks after multiple blasts at Kano’s central mosque in northern Nigeria which killed at least 50 people.

Exit mobile version