“An explosive device went off in the Bolak al-Dakror district on Thursday,” Hossam Abdel-Ghaffar told The Anadolu Agency.
He said two people – a policeman and a civilian – had been killed in the blast.
There has been no claim of responsibility.
Bombings have become commonplace in Egypt since Mohamed Morsi – Egypt’s first democratically elected president – was ousted by the army in mid-2013.
While the government accuses Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood of carrying out the attacks, the group emphatically denies the allegations, saying it is committed to purely peaceful methods of protest.