(AA) – Reigning Formula 1 champion, British driver Lewis Hamilton, won the first Grand Prix of the season held in Melbourne, Australia on Sunday.
Mercedes made a flying start to the season as Lewis Hamilton won the Australian Grand Prix and his teammate, Nico Rosberg, came second in Melbourne.
Williams driver Valtteri Bottas was unable to join the race since he had back problems. McLaren-Honda’s Kevin Magnussen and Red Bull driver Daniel Kvyat withdrew from race due to technical problems with their vehicles.
Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus’ Pastor Maldonado and Romain Grosjean and Toro Rosso driver Max Verstappen could not complete the Australian Grand Prix either, also due to technical problems during the race.
Mercedes’ Hamilton was crowned as the Australian Grand Prix winner (1:31:54.067) whilst his German teammate Nico Rosberg was the runner-up. Rosberg completed the race 1.36 seconds behind Hamilton.
Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel came in third, finishing the race in Melbourne 34.523 seconds behind the winner.
The next Grand Prix will be held in Malaysia on March 29.
– Top ten drivers in Australian Grand Prix:
1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
2. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
3. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
4. Felipe Massa (Williams)
5. Felipe Nasr (Sauber)
6. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull Racing)
7. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India)
8. Marcus Ericsson (Sauber)
9. Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso)
10. Sergio Perez (Force India)
– Driver and Constructor standings after Australian Grand Prix:
– Driver Standings
1. Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain) 25 pts
2. Nico Rosberg (Germany) 18 pts
3. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) 15 pts
4. Felipe Massa (Brazil) 12 pts
5. Felipe Nasr (Brazil) 10 pts
6. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) 8 pts
7. Nico Hulkenberg (Germany) 6 pts
8. Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) 4 pts
9. Carlos Sainz (Spain) 2 pts
10. Sergio Perez (Mexico) 1 pt
11. Jenson Button (Great Britain) 0 pt
– Constructor Standings
1. Mercedes 43 pts
2. Ferrari 15 pts
3. Sauber 14 pts
4. Williams 12 pts
5. Red Bull Racing 8 pts
6. Force India 7 pts
7. Toro Rosso 2 pts
8. McLaren 0 pt