(AA) – The news of rescuing scores of girls from a Boko Haram stronghold in northeastern Nigeria has raised hopes among families of schoolgirls abducted by the militant group last year.
“We received this news with optimism that our daughters are among those who have been rescued,” Samuel Yaga, the father of abducted girl Rebecca, told The Anadolu Agency by phone on Tuesday.
“It would be the happiest moment of our lives,” he said.
The Nigerian army said Tuesday that at least 200 girls and 93 women have been rescued from the notorious Sambisa forest in northeastern Nigeria.
The army, however, said that it can’t confirm whether the abducted schoolgirls were among those rescued.
Yaga, who said his wife Sarah has been diagnosed of hypertension since the abduction of his girl, said the whole community in Chibok town waits in great hope that the girls have been rescued.
“We hope our daughters are among them,” he said.
“We will be praying and waiting for the military to finally break the news that my daughter Rebecca and her friends have been brought back at last.”
On April 14 last year, Boko Haram militants stormed Chibok town and led away 276 schoolgirls. Only 57 of them have been accounted for, leaving 219 still missing.
Community spokesman Lawan Rabana said the Chibok residents await the identities of the rescued girls to be ascertained.
“For what it is worth, it is good news that anyone has been rescued at all,” he said.
“But it will be an academic exercise for us as a community to start making any comment at the moment.”