Africa Death toll from attack on Libya children’s park rises to 8

Death toll from attack on Libya children’s park rises to 8

Late Muammar Gaddafi
Late Muammar Gaddafi

(AA) – The death toll from artillery shells that struck a children’s park in Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi has risen to eight, a local medical source said Saturday.

“The fatalities include three family members,” the source told Anadolu Agency.

The source said four children and a woman were also killed in the attack, which targeted Humaida Park in the eastern Libyan city on Friday.

In recent months, forces loyal to Libya’s internationally-recognized House of Representatives – based in the eastern city of Tobruk – have been fighting pro-Islamist forces in a number of cities, including Benghazi.

Since the ouster and death of strongman Muammar Gaddafi in late 2011, rival militias have often locked horns, frequently bringing violence to Libya’s main population centers, including Benghazi and capital Tripoli.

The sharp divisions have yielded two rival seats of government, each of which has its own institutions and military capacities.

Two assemblies currently vie for legislative authority: the Tobruk-based House of Representatives and the General National Congress, which – even though its mandate ended last year – continues to convene in Tripoli.

The two parliaments support the two rival governments respectively headquartered in the two cities.

Previous articleUS-Egyptian activist freed from Egypt prison
Next articleUS Vice President’s Son Beau Biden Dies of Brain Cancer