Middle East Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members

Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members

Image result for Osman Ozpinari, Ibrahim Akbas and Adnan Demironal
Osman Ozpinari, Ibrahim Akbas and Adnan Demironal

A Turkish court remanded three senior members of the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) in custody early Friday who had been brought to Turkey as part of an intelligence agency operation in Gabon, Central Africa. 

Osman Ozpinari, Ibrahim Akbas and Adnan Demironal are accused of “international espionage” as well as “management of an armed terror organization,” a judicial source said on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on speaking with the media. 

On April 10, Turkish intelligence officers brought the three senior FETO members to Turkey following an anti-terror operation against the group in Gabon. 

The group was brought to Turkey from the capital Libreville on a private plane. 

FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the July 15, 2016 defeated coup in Turkey, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.

Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary.

Last week, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey has brought back 80 FETO members from abroad so far. 

“We will chase them [the remaining ones] as well,” Erdogan added.

Previous articleNo intent to change Syria’s strategic balance
Next article6 soldiers arrested on terror charges